Popcorn or popping corn is a type of maize which explodes from the kernel and puffs up when it is heated in oil or by dry heat. Special varieties of corn are grown to give improved popping yield.
Popcorn is naturally high in fiber, low in calories, contains no sodium, and is sugar and fat free.
Popcorn has the following characteristics:
* contains fiber, providing roughage the body needs in the daily diet.
* is low in calories -- only 31-55 calories in one cup of unbuttered, and when lightly buttered, one cup still only has 133 calories.
* has no artificial additives or preservatives, and is sugar-free.
* contains energy-producing carbohydrates.
* is ideal for between meal snacking since it satisfies and doesn't spoil.